Minimum housing standards will come into effect for new tenancies from 1 September 2023, and for all tenancies from 1 September 2024.
Minimum housing standards specify that rental properties must:
- be weatherproof and structurally sound
- be in good repair, with fixtures and fittings (such as electrical appliances) that are not likely to cause injury through normal use
- have functioning locks or latches on all external doors and windows that can be reached without a ladder
- be free from vermin, damp and mould (this does not include cases where the vermin, damp or mould has been caused by the tenant)
- include curtains or other window coverings, which provide privacy in rooms where the tenant might reasonably expect it, such as bedrooms
- have adequate plumbing and drainage and be connected to hot and cold water that is suitable for drinking
- provide privacy in bathroom areas and have flushable toilets connected to a sewer, septic tank or other waste disposal system
- have a functioning cook-top, if a kitchen is provided
- include the necessary fixtures for a functional laundry, such as tap fixtures and adequate plumbing, if laundry facilities are provided. The laundry does not have to include a washing machine or other white goods, as these may be provided by the tenant.